Friday, February 17, 2012

Soup and Sandwich

So the other day I was watching some TV and saw someone making this soup.  I tweaked it a little to suit my families needs and it is freakin awesome!!!  You can find the original recipe on food network under 10 dollar dinners…. My soup makes 6 servings and has 64 calories, 1 gram fat, and 10 carbs per serving.

Now my picture is  not the best but it gives you an idea of what it looks like….
photo (3)

Roasted Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
14 Roma Tomatoes
4 TBSP Olive oil, divided
4 cups organic chicken broth
1 cup onions, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 TBSP salt, divided
1 TBSP pepper, divided
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 triangles lite laughing cow cheese*

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300*F.  Slice tomatoes in half lengthwise.  Place them in a large bowl and drizzle with 2 TBSP olive oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper toss to coat well.  Place cut side down on a baking sheet covered with foil and bake for 1 hour.  Remove from oven and remove skins.  Turn over and put back in oven for 1 more hour.  During last hour of roasting time start rest of soup.  Place onion in pot with remaining olive oil and sauté for 8 minutes.  No color just tender.  Add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.  Add chicken stock and herbs and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender!  When tomatoes are done put in blender with stock and veggies and cheese and blend until smooth.  Serve warm. 

Now with this soup we also had open face sandwiches called Croque Monsieur I went off of this recipe and let the egg off which makes it a Croque Madam.  But you know I had to make them a little healthier as well for our dietary needs.  So here is my version:  It has 370 calories, 12 g. fat, and 15 carbs per serving.

photo (2)

Ingredients:
4 slices 100% Whole Wheat Bread*
4 servings Oscar Mayer 98% fat free smoked ham
4 oz. Gruyere Cheese shredded
4 oz. Lite Swiss Cheese shredded
1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
Garlic Powder
salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:
In a small bowl mix the yogurt, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper together.  Lay the bread out on a baking sheet spread 1 tablespoon of the yogurt mixture on each piece of bread.  Place one serving of ham on each sandwich.  Divide the remaining yogurt mixture into 4 and spread on top of the ham.  Put one ounce of each of the cheeses on top of that and then bake in the oven at 350 until cheese is melted, brown and bubbly. 

* I used 2 wedges of garlic and herb, 1 wedge of lite Swiss, and 1 wedge of chipotle laughing cow.  My bread was from the bakery a boule and the nutrition information was included on the bag.  Calories and carbs will vary depending on your bread.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Now I'm hungry! And I just ate!!! Yummy looking recipes. You can come make them for me anytime!!! ;) Come visit my bloggy... I have a surprise for you!