Sunday, July 15, 2012

Zucchini Pancakes!!


Yep you read that right!  Zucchini pancakes, for breakfast, with syrup…. Sound funny?  It did to me when I first thought about it but then I thought why not!  You can make bread, and cupcakes, and cakes, and almost anything with zucchini so why not pancakes!! 

As most of you know I have a plethora of zucchini coming in our garden right now and I am forever trying to make different things with it because honestly there is only so much steamed, sautéed, pan seared, oven roasted or grilled zucchini you can take.  Not to mention the breads and cakes and cupcakes…. but this one came out of a need for a different breakfast!!!

Ok here is how it all started… the other night I was whining to my husband about not wanting to have any more eggs(read egg beaters egg whites) for breakfast.  I mean any type of regular bread product is out of the question so what does that leave?  Oh and I am more than willing to take suggestions on very low carb breakfast ideas if you have any!  Anyway, as I was whining he said what about zucchini pancakes, of course this was while he has chocolate zucchini cake on a plate in front of him!!  And like I said I thought it sounded funny to begin with then the more I thought about it the more I wanted to try it, so what do I do…. YEP I googled the damn things! Found several recipes and even pinned one.  So yesterday morning I get up and print the recipe and sit down and start replacing their ingredients with ingredients that fit my dietary needs and this is what the end product looks like!
zucchini pancakes

Look like regular pancakes don’t they!  Taste really good also!  Now as you can see my plate didn’t have syrup but the Steven’s(the hubby) did and I snuck a taste and DAMN they were even better with syrup!!!  But alas syrup is wasted carbs for me so I just had the one bite from his plate and went on with my wonderful goodness of a breakfast… My sister suggests I try with cinnamon/splenda mixture on top next time and I will!


Zucchini Pancakes for Breakfast!
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp splenda
2 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup egg beaters
4 oz. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
2 cups grated zucchini

Heat Griddle to 350* or what ever pan you use to make pancakes in.

In a medium bowl mix the first 5 ingredients; set aside.  In a small bowl mix next 3 ingredients well; pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.  Fold in the zucchini just until combined.  Let rest until ready to cook, about 5 minutes.

Pour 1/3 cup portions onto heated griddle and let cook on first side for 7 minutes.  No joke 7 minutes.  Flip and cook on other side for 6 minutes.  I promise you do not want to rush them or they will be mushy and I personally don’t like mushy pancakes! Serve as you would a normal pancake

Makes 8 pancakes
Nutrition Information per pancake: calories 76, fat 1.0g, carbs. 13, protein 3 g. 

No comments: